Monday, October 27, 2008

We have simplified..... repeatedly.  

I mean it.  

We have made difficult phone calls, explained reasons why we cannot ____. 

And yet, I was miserable for days leading up to last weekend .... all in the name of fun.

And I feel the same noose of stress tightening as I look toward the weekend to come.  

I am conceding the impossibility, physical impossibility, of our family calendar.

I know we agreed to (most of) it.  Frankly, it really isn't overboard in any one area. Each child plays one sport at a time, very little overlap if any.    We are involved with things at school, not everything.  Hannah is in choir, boys guitar and drums.   We are involved in youth group. Everyone has social things to do.  Phil has a job.  But it is not working.  

And when I began to despair.... I resolve to reflect. 

What matters? 

What are we trying to accomplish during the years that our children live at home?

In the midst of the compromises, planning ahead, sharing rides with friends, making choices, what do we want our kids (and ourselves) to practice and to learn?

To ask questions.


Why am I doing what I am doing? 

In what way does it matter, help others, develop the traits I/we am striving for?

Does it have temporary or eternal significance? 

What is my motivation for doing it?  Because others are? Source of pride? Is it a should or a want to?  Or is it something I/we are called to?

Does it develop a God given talent in a balanced way?  and bring Him glory?

In what way does it develop character, teach lessons, grow me/us spiritually?

We have so little time with our children at home.  It is necessary to pinpoint our focus and tailor our choices accordingly.  
Repeatedly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I will print out that list of questions and stick it on my fridge...and if you get answers to them would you pass them on??
From one overcommitted-determined-not-to-let-their-childhoods-pass-in-a-blur mom to another. :)

Laura Lee said...

Awesome, Laurie. Thanks so much. This is a huge struggle for us as well...and with one fewer child than you have. Good questions.